Sweet and Sour Pork Chops

From Cook Yourself Slim

Marinade:
1 tbsp dry sherry
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp shoyu
1/2 tsp sugar

Sauce:
2 tbsp pineapple juice
1 tbsp shoyu
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp ketchup
1/2 tsp white vinegar

Ingredients: Although the original recipe called for dry sherry, we only had mirin so that's what we used.  We also substituted white vinegar for rice vinegar.  Used 1 sweet onion, 2 broccoli bunches, 1 sweet onion, 1 red bell pepper, and 1 bunch of celery for the vegetables. Tripled the sauce for the recipe because we had 2.5lbs of pork.

Cooking: Just like any stir fry, this took a while to prep! Thankfully J, grudgingly, helped out.  Cooking the vegetables was a synch.  I also should have marinated this overnight, instead it only got about an hour.  I tossed in some cloves of garlic, it was getting old, but I think it turned out ok.  The worst part of the meal was frying the pork!  I knew it was going to splash everywhere so I coated it in some corn starch, however in small batches browning each side like suggested, took forever!  It didn't come out crunchy so I don't see the point in waiting till every side browned, so next time I think I'll just stir fry the pork in slightly larger batches.

Taste: J liked it, which is quite rare (imo).  I thought it tasted a bit like ketchup, good, but very western-ish.  Definitely not a good left over food, the 2nd day tasted about 1/2 as good.  Anyways, I think I'll make it again someday because J liked it.

Popular Posts