Chicken Stock from Thanksgiving Leftovers

We made juk with the left over thanksgiving chicken carcass, it was delicious!  Next year I will use the carcass to make stock, and THEN made jook with the stock and left over bones?

Jook (Congee) - Recipe 1,

My Recipe
9 C (2 quarts) water or chicken stock
1 1/2 C rice (raw)
1 turkey / chicken carcass
2 carrots, cut into large dice
3 stalks of celery, cut into large dice
2 C turkey / chicken meat

2 tablespoons dried shrimp (optional)
6 whole dried scallops (optional)
OR
3-4 dried shitake black mushrooms

Instructions
  1. Place carcass and water into a pot and simmer for 1 hour
  2. Heat water and soak the dried shiitake mushrooms
  3. While the carcass simmers, prepare the carrots, celery, and shred the meat off the carcass
  4. Wash the rice and pour the rice into the pot with the carcass
  5. Add the carrots, celery, and shiitake mushrooms to the pot
  6. Simmer for 45 minutes - 2 hours until the mixture has thickened, don't stir or the rice won't thicken. 
Notes:  I used swanson chicken broth, which according to some internet foodie culinary writer, is terrible.   I'll use water next time I guess.  It also took me around 45 minutes till the mixture thickened, J likes it thick so at 1 hour I turned the heat off and it was super thick!  It was very tasty though!

Popular Posts