Mochiko Chicken

Based off of  Source 1, Source 2

1/2 c. cornstarch
1/2 c. mochiko rice flour
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. shoyu
1/4 c shao hsing rice wine
3 eggs, beaten
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs

Directions
  1. Sift corn starch, mochiko, and sugar into a bowl
  2. While stirring, slowly add in the shoyu until it forms a paste (so that the corn starch doesn't form into lumps).  
  3. Then add in the rest of the shoyu, eggs, and rice wine 
  4. Marinate overnight, flipping it over in the morning.  Give it a good stir, the mochiko may have settled to the bottom
  5. Pan fry in about 1/4" of oil
  6. If not fully cooked, transfer it to the (toaster) oven for 10-15minutes at 325 degrees until the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Notes:
J liked it and said we should make it again.  I used the tall pot for it this time, but I think I'll just use the cast iron frying pan next time with less oil.  The best would be if I had a dutch oven! I could try baking it too.

Popular Posts